The story of this photo
…Going Pro …New Baby …New Content …A Whole New Life
This 3-shot HDR image was taken at the shore of Lake Ontario and it shows the skyline of Toronto, Canada with the CN Tower to the right. I have been there for one week in July.
This is actually the first shot that I publish from that trip. It has been a crazy few months. So many big things happened, and I have that strange feeling that they ran past me in a mix of time-lapse and fast-forward. My “old” job ended at the end of August. I had a 6-year contract as a scientist at a university. That is now history and I am giving myself one year now to see if I can make a living from my photography. That is kind of exciting and a bit scary too. But I am fully aware that it is a real privilege to be given so much support from you and from my family. My wife supports me 100% and she believes in me. I feel so blessed.
That in itself is already big news, at least for me. But it is not the biggest news. Two weeks ago, my wife gave birth to a baby girl. It is our first child, so it is unchartered territory for us. Little Nina is healthy and such a sweetheart. Sometimes, it feels as if she has got more patience with us than we have with her.
I have also worked feverishly under the hood ofÂ farbspiel-photo.com to improve my service to you and to bring you new content. I have moved my subscriber list to a new provider. Making sure that everybody has a smooth transition and preparing the website for the new subscription process took quite a while. Since I wanted to give you a little bonus too, I have written an eBook called “HDR Top Tips” that every subscriber gets for free. Last but not least I am preparing a series of eBooks about various photographic topics for you. In reference to the HDR Cookbook – the blog the really started all of this – I am calling it The Photo Cookbook Series. The Photo Cookbook Series (PCS) is a series of eBooks and other educational material that provide in-depth practical information on different photographic topics and offer practical guidance to photographers at any level.
…A Whole New Life
So, over the past three months, I have been mighty busy preparing new content and features here at farbspiel-photo.com and changing diapers. 😉 You could actually say that I am starting a whole new life, and I sincerely hope that you will be with me in this adventure.
How the photos were shot
- Taken from a tripod
- Three exposures (30s, 8s, 2s)
- Camera: Nikon D7000
- Lens: Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
How the HDR image was tonemapped
- CA reduction and white balance correction on all source exposures in Adobe Camera Raw
- Saved the 3 images as TIFFs
- Created an additional +4 EV images from the original +2 EV source photo [details]
- Applied noise reduction (Topaz Denoise) to each of the source images [details]
- Resulting TIFF images were then used as input to Photomatix (Details Enhancer option)
How the tonemapped image was post-processed
- Post-processing was done in Photoshop
- Topaz Adjust on the boats and the skyline for enhancing the colors and the lighting [details]
- Topaz Infocus on the boats and the skyline for intelligent sharpening
- Levels layer on the boats and the skyline (more contrast)
- Saturation layer on the boats and the skyline (master / yellows)
- Curves layer on the water (more contrast for a more reflective look)
- Saturation layer on the water (blues)
- Levels layer on the reflection of the skyline (some extra contrast)
- Levels layer on the sky (more contrast)
- Saturation layer on the sky (blues)
- Slight vignetting [details]
- Watermarking [details]