The story of this photo
This is my latest macro shot. Over the last few weeks, I have been spending my time doing a lot of stuff that did not have too much to do with taking or editing photos. It did have to do with photography, but just not with the creative part of it. Anyway, yesterday, I got fed up with this stuff and I started messing around with my macro gear. The sun just went down and I found this tiny foilage with those delicate little hairs. I figured that this would look great against the sun. So, I got out my little syringe, applied a few droplets and took a whole bunch of shots with the sun in different spots relative to the foliage.
Initailly, I went with an aperture of f/20 to f/25 to get all of the leaves in focus. But that brought parts of the background too much into focus too. So, I went with f/8 which blurred the background entirely, and I took different shots with different foci. Then I used focus stacking in Photoshop to blend those images together. Et Voilá, subject in focus, background blurred.
And here is the lesson for you: Always know what you can do to an image in post-processing while you are shooting. This may help you solve problems and lets you create images that may be very difficult to create otherwise.
How it was shot
- Taken with a tripod
- Three exposures – used focus stacking to bring the whole subject into focus
- Camera: Nikon D7000
- Lens: Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm 1:2,8G VR
How it was post-processed
- Post-processing was done in Photoshop
- Topaz DeNoise
- Topaz Infocus for sharpening
- Topaz Details for bringing out the details in the petals and some basic color correction
- Saturation adjustent layer (master)
- Vibrance layer (vibrance)