Palermo Harbor - Palermo, Italy (HDR)
Watch the Making of video to see how this photo was produced!
The story of this photo:
This was shot in the harbor of Palermo in Italy. Floating into a harbor with a big cruise ship is an impressive experience. When this huge ship maneuvers into the harbor, it is usually very early in the morning and it is a quiet atmosphere. People standing on the railing and just watching. Some are, of course, taking photos.
I had to make this from a pseudo HDR since the ship was moving which led to parallax effects. This is very hard to align and causes ghosting and blur.
How it was tonemapped:
> Photomatix version 3.1 (Detail Enhancer)
How it was post-processed:
> Post-processing was done in Photoshop
> Topaz Adjust on the entire image to get back the colors and the details [details]
> Topaz Denoise [details]
> Saturation layer on the mountain (master, yellows)
> Levels layer on the mountain (increased contrast)
> Photo filter on the water (Cooling Filter (82))
> Photo filter on the water (cyan, just on the bottom part using a gradient mask)
> Saturation layer on the sky (master to enhance the blue tones)
> Levels layer on the clouds (slight increase in contrast)
> Saturation layer on the quay and the harbor (yellows)
> Vignette effect using a masked fill layer [details]
> Sharpening using the high-pass filter [details]
> Selective sharpening on the clouds using the high-pass filter [details]
Any comments, feedback or criticisms are highly welcome! Thanks for viewing!
Subscribe to stay in touch and get your free eBook
Subscribe to get news & updates
Featured Content - What's Hot?
Connect with me!
HDR Cookbook – Improve Today!
- ► Introduction
- ► Requirements
- ► Contents
- ► The Secrets of Hand-held HDR Shooting
- ► Manual HDR Bracketing Explained (NEW)
- ► Semi-Autobracketing for HDR (NEW)
- ► General HDR Workflow
- ► Why you need an artistic workflow
- ► 21 HDR Photography Myths Busted
- ► Creating 32-bit HDRs the Right Way
- ► Correcting Chromatic Aberration
- ► Structuring a Project
- ► Complex Selections
- ► Using Topaz Adjust to Improve Your Images
- ► Reducing Halos
- ► Fixing Uneven Luminance
- ► Noise Reduction
- ► The Three Rules of Noise Reduction
- ► Sharpening
- ► Creating Clarity in Your Images
- ► Adding a Vignette Effect
- ► Adding a Frame
- ► Restoring Exif Data
- ► HDR Panoramas
- ► Taking Interior HDR Vertorama Shots
- ► Taking HDR Vertorama Shots with a Tripod
- ► 14 Tips for Quick and Effective Travel Photography
- ► Creative Watermarking